Free Water Education Materials
The Soquel Creek Water District can help provide water awareness for your classroom or children. The District provides free educational programs and materials to schools and parents in the District's service area (Soquel, Capitola, Aptos, La Selva Beach, and Live Oak School District) in addition to field trips, and teachers workshops.
Our Water Works Free Resources
Water Education Activity Booklets
A discovery book about our County's freshwater resources. This informative book, published by water agencies in Santa Cruz County, answers the 5th-grade question, "what is the origin of the water used by local communities". Other concepts covered in the activity booklet are the water cycle, water as a molecule, watersheds, groundwater, water treatment, pollution prevention, the history of a creek, rainfall measurements, water use, and water conservation tips.
Request a class set of grade-specific (K to12th grade) water education activity booklets. Use in class or give as a home activity. Teach about our local water resources with Our Water Works in Santa Cruz County for 5th and 6th grades. Available in Spanish too!
Have students promise to save water. Print out this colorful pledge and have them write down their own ideas on how to save water.
Obtain a fold-out map from Our Water Works in Santa Cruz County for your students.
Stickers or Pencils
Need water conservation rewards to put a finale on a water lesson? Colorful stickers with water-wise messages are available for lower elementary and pencils for upper elementary classes.
Class sets of rain gauges are available to borrow. Have the students measure the rainfall from a storm and see how rainfall is measured with a rain gauge at their house.
5-minute shower timers that suction cup to the shower wall are great visuals to help coach students on taking shorter showers.
Online Education Free Resources
- California Department of Water Resources - They offer a variety of free educational materials including worksheets, activity books, posters, videos, and curriculum guides to classroom teachers, homeschoolers, and non-formal educators. Many materials are available both in hard copy and electronically.
- Project WET - Project WET has water education resources from Pre-K through 12th grade.
- Water Saving Tips - Resources for Teaching Water Conservation.
- California Regional Environmental Education Community (CREEC) - This site offers teaching materials as well as connections with local programs and events that teachers can bring into their classroom or use as field trip opportunities and more.
- California Environmental Education Initiative - Find standards-based free downloadable and printed curriculum for each grade level. The maps that were made for the program were designed by National Geographic cartographers.
- Water Sense for Kids - Learn about water from the EPA.
- The Geology of Santa Cruz County Poster (PDF) - This is a map and cross-section of the main geologic layers of Santa Cruz County. It was put together from a study of hundreds of well logs. This is a great poster to add to a lesson in local geology or aquifers.