Rules of Water Waste
The following restrictions will help protect the District's water supply from groundwater overdraft, seawater intrusion, and drought:
- No general water waste: Indiscriminate running of water or washing in a manner that is wasteful and without reasonable purpose is prohibited.
- No irrigation run-off: Adjust irrigation systems to prevent overspray and run-off.
- No sprinkler use between 10 am and 8 pm: Only watering mornings or evenings reduces water loss from evaporation and wind.
- No hosing down of hard or paved surface except when necessary for health and safety. A positive shut-off nozzle is required.
- Always use a positive shut-off hose nozzle for outdoor water use (free hose nozzles are available to District customers).
- Always repair irrigation system and plumbing leaks within 72 hours.
- Food service establishments may only serve drinking water upon customer request and must display notice of this policy. (Call to request free signs).
- Hospitality/ lodging establishments must give customers the option to forego daily laundering of linens and must display notice of this policy. (Call to request free signs).
- No watering during rainfall or for 48 hours following measurable rainfall.
Temporary Stage 3 Water Shortage Emergency Rules
- No exterior washing of structures (unless necessary for sanitation and health or to prepare for paint or stain and a pressure washer is used).
- Car washing at home must be efficient. Use waterless spray, bucket, and hose with an automatic shut-off nozzle or pressure washer. If possible, water should not run off of the property.
- Efficient car washes within our District
- Bay Avenue Self Serve Car Wash
821 Bay Avenue
Capitola, CA 95010
- AJ's Fuel and Car Wash
5955 Soquel Drive
Soquel, CA 95073
- Commercial customers must display "Save Water" signage (free signs are available)